Josh and I (& Phoebe!) are sooooo beyond excited to share that we’re expecting a little baby this Spring!!! It’s crazy and still hasn’t settled in quite yet, but knowing that our lives will never be the same is so crazy…but like, in the most amazing way possible. We’re both feeling so incredibly thankful for our baby blessing and can’t wait to start this new chapter together as a family.
Since my thoughts are all over the place, I’m putting together 10 random things to share about my pregnancy…from how I’ve been feeling, my cravings, all the good stuff that comes along with this journey! But you have been warned….some of this may be more than wanna know about me, but I guess that kinda comes along with the territory of pregnancy, right? So read on if you’re interested and we cannot wait to share more of this beautiful process with all of you!
- Our due date is May 4th – May the fourth be with you. It’s kinda funny since there are soooo many Star Wars references already surrounding our little baby. First off, the due date. Secondly, our last name is Hahn – Hahn Solo. And lastly, while we were in Thailand over the holidays, we made a bet with our best friends over a game of pool. The bet was simple: if Josh and I lost, our fourth kid has to be named Hahn Solo. If our friends lost, they had to name their 8th child Koothrappali, from Big Bang Theory. Luckily, we won that bet but it’s still a funny thought considering the other Star Wars references.
- We don’t know the sex yet but we are dying to know! My ob/gyn said that after June 1, 2016, that the blood test done at 12 weeks (which also confirms sex through hormone detection), was no longer covered by insurance. We could still have it done but it would be about $600 out of pocket. We seriously considered it, but when adding up the numbers, I couldn’t justify spending that. I kept thinking, that’s a stroller, a crib, some diapers and cute clothes from Target or BuyBuyBaby. We have our 20 week appointment set for December 8th and are so freaking excited! You know you’ll be in for an update!!
- Since we don’t know what we’re having yet, there has been a lot of flip flopping on what we think we’re having. One minute I think it’s a boy, the next a girl, then back to boy. I’ve read some of those “old wives tales” and right now it’s 50/50. Haha, like that helped us any!! As of right now though, I think it’s a girl!
- I have to say the worst symptom I’ve experienced so far is fatigue. And omg, it’s so bad you guys. I’ve experienced fatigue and exhaustion before but pregnancy fatigue is on a whole other level. It’s gotten a little bit better since starting the second trimester, but I’m still waiting to regain all my energy. Along with horrible fatigue, I also have such a lack of motivation. It’s been hard to stay motivated to work out, work, and stay up to date on the blog. Like to give you insight, I’m writing this post in bed, at 11 am, after 8 hours of sleep and already want to take a nap…
- Cravings are a funny thing. My first one was soup. And even with 90 degree weather, all I wanted was soup. Haha, I don’t know why, but I think it’s a cross between being easy to consume and just being the best comfort food ever (well, that and mashed potatoes). Then my second craving that came with a vengeance was fruit. I think in one day, I went through 4 apples, a few oranges, 3 grapefruit cups from Costco, and random snaking on berries. It was seriously out of control. And let’s not get started on the brownies and milk train I was on for a few weeks. Every Friday, it became a thing that after dinner, we’d go to Target to get brownie mix, ice cream and milk. Luckily, I haven’t had any food aversions, just found myself eating less of foods I used to devour: such as certain veggies or spicy food. However, when it comes to food, I haven’t gone as crazy as I thought I would and have been in tune with what my cravings are. When it’s healthy, I go for it, but for someone who’s never had a sweet tooth, it’s been hard to put down the brownie… Luckily, the brownie ship has sailed and let’s hope it stays that way!!
- I’m one of those women that knew I was pregnant like, a week or two into it. And I felt so sick, kinda like the flu. I was bed bound, exhausted, dizzy, nauseous with a bad headache. But I also craving mac and cheese (wtf?) and knew we had to go to Target to get the early detection pregnancy test. I got the three pack and took it asap. Sadly, it came back negative and at that moment, I knew how badly I wanted a baby. Also at that moment, I knew that this test was wrong and me being the stubborn person that I am, wouldn’t take negative for an answer. So I tried to wait a few days, but those pregnancy tests were like taunting me from my bathroom drawer and knew I had to take one, the very next day. Negative again. Feeling even more defeated, I thought I’d torture myself once more by taking it the following day…ladies, if you’re like me…put the stick down… Any who, fast forward a week and we were heading to San Francisco for the weekend to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. I thought it’d be so amazing if we had a positive test and celebrate the next chapter, so sure enough, I bought another three pack – haha, here we go again, I thought. Surely enough, the same vicious cycle and all three were negative. Despite what my gut was telling me, I kinda started to accept that maybe I wasn’t pregnant. Fast forward to the week following our anniversary and I was napping like crazy, for like 2-3 hours at a time! And I do not nap. Once I noticed the pattern, I knew something was off and went to Target to get another three pack (haha me and my three packs!). I knew Josh was on his way home and should be walking in the door any second when I decided to take it (obviously, I can’t wait with these things!!). So I took it and walked out of our bathroom just when Josh walked in. He must’ve known I was up to something because I had that deer in the headlights look. Having only knowing the result for like 10 seconds, I lead him into the bathroom and was like “look, do you see the line?? Do you SEE IT? It’s THERE!!!”. We both kinda looked at each other with this, omg… this is real, kinda look. So naturally we went for pizza for dinner and the whole time we kept saying “can you believe this is happening?” and I kept saying “I knew I was pregnant!!”
- The amount of water I’ve been drinking is just insane. It’s also been one of the things that has kept me from throwing up all the time. Unfortunately, I’ve battled with relentless dry heaving (at random hours of the day and so bad once, I threw my back out!!!). Whenever my throat gets too dry, I talk too much, or overexert myself, I would gag or dry heave. And the only thing that would relieve it was iced cold water. So, once I realized that, I brought water everywhere. It was beside my bed each morning, in a container, on flights, everywhere!! And it’s been my lifesaver!
- I think Phoebe knows and it’s the cutest thing ever. She’s been extra snuggly, cuddly and it just seems like she’s aware that somethings going on with mommy. She stays extra close, will cuddle up on the bed while I work and seems more intuitive/attentive than usual. And I have to say, I’m so excited to see how she’ll interact once the baby is born. We’re both hoping that she’ll love it (don’t all pup parents?) and already have a plan in place to help her still feel included. Will it go accordingly? Only time will tell but we’re hopeful!
- I’m waiting for my bump like no other. I want it so bad!! I thought it would show a lot faster since I gained 6 lbs between my 8 and 12 week appointments but haven’t gained any since! It’s slowly starting to show and I’m getting “growing pains” in my belly/back, but I just want to start looking pregnant. I can’t wait to dress up my baby bump!!
- Luckily, time seems to be flying by. I know I might be singing a different tune in a few months (or weeks) but I feel like it’s going by quickly. I feel be really enjoying my pregnancy. Despite the horrible headaches, extreme fatigue, nausea and dry heaving, I really do love this time of my life. I find myself humming when doing random shit like taking out the trash or folding laundry. You know, being happy during chores I hate…like what the what?
As you can see, things are going well for the Hahn family. We couldn’t be more thrilled and excited as we go through the remainder of the pregnancy and share the many special moments with you all. Thank you for stopping by and I am looking forward to meeting our baby nugget.